Old Time Radio - Joshua Molnar

 Hello Class.  I was very excited when I explored the archive this week to see the CBS Radio Mystery Theater collection.  When my father was growing up he and my uncle listened to this radio show, and later he copied all the episodes over and had me listen to some of them while camping or on long car rides.  CBS Radio Mystery Theater is a radio showed that aired in 1974.  I specifically listened to Episode 2, "The Return of Moresby Corpse."  This radio program is an entertaining horror show that tells different fictional stories every episode.   The intended audience for this program seems to aim around teenagers up to adults who could enjoy the horror mysteries.  My experience listening to this program was nostalgic for me but also thrilling and suspenseful.  The stories always keep you curious about what is going to happen next.  I believe this radio show is most similar to reading a book for the experience.  This is because although they are telling you what happens because there is no actual picture like in television, you visualize the descriptions yourself.  For horror, this is effective because we can visualize whatever seems appalling or terrifying to us, and it may differ from person to person.  This is why I believe that this program is best suited for the radio and that they executed the format very well.  That is what makes me believe that storytelling is a great advantage to the radio medium.  Music of course is also a great medium but the storytelling lets many people visualize them in their own ways.   Some disadvantages to the radio medium of course are the inability to rewind, or if there is something that you do not understand or know there are no visual context clues to aid you.  Luckily with the Mystery theater, they also used many sounds to create the environment.  I would love to see what the recording studio was like when they were creating the episodes.  

https://archive.org/details/theoldonesarehardtokill_20191104_1301/0002.+The+Return+Of+The+Moresbys+Copy.mp3



Comments