Dark Fantasy was a radio series created by Scott Bishop. The series aired on The National Broadcasting Company (NBC) between 1941 and 1942. The series was a horror drama. Based on the genre and from what I heard, I believe that the target demographic were late teens and above. Personally, I like this type of genre and found the radio show interesting. It gave me Goosebumps vibes, the TV show that aired in the late 90s on Cartoon Network.
Listening to a radio series was an interesting experience, but I prefer watching a show or reading a book. Listening to a radio series is akin to listening to a podcast, something I don't do often. I prefer watching TV shows and reading books instead of listening to radio series because the former is more fleshed out and gives you a complete experience and the latter allows you to "create your character". What I mean is, the characters in a book are faceless and voiceless. You as a reader get to determine what these characters look and sound like based on their personality, actions, backstory, etc. It makes the reader feel more attached to these characters.
Dark Fantasy is an eerie series. Sound design, music choice, and voice acting are crucial to making the audience feel the sense of dread that the characters are feeling. For these reasons, I think this series works better as a radio series rather than a book. However, I believe a television series would be better. Also, each episode is roughly 25 minutes long, not making it ideal for a short commute to work or school.
Radio broadcasts as a medium have the same pros and cons as a podcast. Let's start with the good. It is wide-reaching and accessible. You can listen to it anywhere and anytime. Listen to a radio series before work, after school, in your free time, etc can set the mood for the day or help unwind. Listening to your favorite radio series before your drive to work can brighten your mood. Alternative, if your day hasn't been the greatest, playing your favorite supernatural/horror series can make a less than stellar day, great. Also, a radio will not strain your eyes when compared to reading and watching TV for hours. However, some viewers will not enjoy this form of media due to the lack of visual appeal, lack of focus a listener will pay to the radio, and annoying advertisements.
Reference
Dark Fantasy - Single Episodes. Internet Archive. (2020, January 7). https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Dark_Fantasy_Singles
I think I did a good job :)
ReplyDelete