Old Time Radio: American Armed Forces Radio Services- G.I. JIVE


Martha Wilkerson

The United States government created and transmitted G.I. Jive (Talk), a 15-minute music show, via the Armed Forces Radio Service (AFRS) radio network. Early presentations included a variety of hosts, including Frank Nelson, Lester Jay, and prominent pin-up females such as Donna Reed.
Her true name was Martha Wilkerson, and she was a huge hit with the troops all around the world. She made hundreds of short-wave radio transmissions that were delivered to Europe, Africa, Australia, and other conflict zones. "Good morning to some of you, good afternoon to some more of you, and to the rest of you -- good night."  she said. Her purpose was to make troops feel at ease wherever they were stationed. She provided lonely servicemen in the United States and abroad with a pleasant, female voice from home to cheer them up. (G.I. Jive, n.d.)
G.I. Jill provided the allied/AFRS counterpart to the infamous 'Tokyo Rose'. Tokyo
Tokyo Rose

Rose broadcasts from Japan. The Tokyo Rose programming was performed by approximately a dozen English speaking female broadcasters on shows such as The Zero Hour. Their jobs were to disrupt the morale of Allied forces that happened to be listening.

References:

AFRS. (2021, April 8). American Armed Forces radio no 32 : Free download, borrow, and streaming : Internet archive. Internet Archive. https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22American+Armed+Forces+Radio%22

G.I. Jive. (n.d.). Welcome to the best of old-time radio. https://www.thisoldradioshow.com/OldRadioShows/GIJive/GIJiveShow.php


Comments