Explore & Curate: Old Time Radio - Wendell DeLong
For this weeks explore and curate post I chose a show called Magic Island and Listened to episode 1 titled "Jerry Hall's proposal". https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Magic_Island_Singles/MagicIsland_36xxxx__001_JerryHallsProposal.mp3
It aired in 1936 and was a fictional show with 130, 12 minute episodes. I would say this show was made for a younger audience, and I could see younger kids getting very interested in this show.
The episode I listened to covers the start of the story, and gets you pretty interested. A lady loses her 1 year old baby in a shipwreck and is covenced the baby servived. A young man heres a story on his radio about a young girl in the same part of the world her baby was lost and decides to tell her about it. By the end of the episode the lady, the young man, and her butler/pilot are boarding a boat to go look for her lost kid.
As far as my experiance listining to this show, I had a pretty good time. I grew up listening to CD recordings of Lord of the Rings and Narnia so this reminded me of that type of media quite a bit. It was interesting and slightly corny, but it did a great job of getting you interested in the story they were telling. The show was suited well for the radio programe and they did a good job with sound effects to make it fit.
I think the main advantage of the show being on the radio is it add some interest and mystery to the show when you dont have any visuals. You just have to pay attention to the story and try to visualize as it goes. The main disadvantage is fictional storys are just more entertaning when you have the visual aspect. The radio medium isn't bad, but its not surprizing that tv and movies are more popular today.
Comments
Post a Comment