Introduction to Archive - James Dugas


Bell Rack used by slavery owners, in Mobile, Al.

This is a picture of a bell rack used by an Alabama slave owner to track runaway slaves. It was created in Mobile, Al, around 1938.  

I selected this photo that shows the history of the U.S. during Slavery times and how bad things were, especially if a slave owner had to put a bell on its slaves to let them know when someone ran away. Sore of like what we do to our animals to let us know when they have runoff.

I found this in the, “Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writer’s Project 1936” to 1938 collection

What I would like to know about this artifact is how often was it used, and was it used on little kids as well? 

Reference 

(ca. 1938) Bell rack on model, museum in Mobile, Ala. Mobile United States Alabama, ca. 1938. [Between 1937 and] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99615417/. 

 


 

Comments