Intro to Archives

 


A newspaper article from May 07, 1945 reviewing the major events of World War II, with a chronology of the war from 1939 until 1945.

During my research for this assignment I was researching past newspapers to get an insight as to what life was like in the early 1900's in America. I decided to start seeing how major world events in modern history were reported by the news and began researching articles from the sinking of the Titanic, to the events of World War 2. I found this article from the Evening Star newspaper in the Library of Congress in the Chronicling America section. Here there is access to many different newspapers with searches dating back to 1777 until 1963.  

This article interested me because it highlights the major events in World War 2 in the European theater from the evacuation of Dunkirk, the Battle of Britain, the conflicts in North Africa, and the Battle of the Siegfried Line which lead to the road to Allied victory. Since I have always had great interest in WWI and WWII, I always find articles like these interesting since it gives me a chance to read the reporting of the events which had not long happened. It was a good way of communicating the events from across the Atlantic back to the American public. 

From looking at past newspapers from the years of WWII, I would like to search more newspaper articles that document the events of the war or other major events from the early 1900's to see how things were reported back then since there was no internet. I feel that back then there was more truth in what one would read. The information on the internet today can easily be manipulated to suit the readers opinions. 

References:
W.D. Wallach & Hope. (n.d.). Evening star. [volume] (Washington, D.C.) 1854-1972, May 07, 1945, Page A-4, image 4. News about Chronicling America RSS. Retrieved January 15, 2022, from https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045462/1945-05-07/ed-1/seq-4/

Comments